Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Photo Essay: Statement of Purpose


Michael Newtoff
College Writing 2
Photo Essay: Statement of Purpose
    
            I have an idea to focus my photo essay on the personal, documentary-like story of myself. I have recently noticed that I have many religious and scientific experience each day and I want to shed light on how religion and science can co-exist.
            The growing debate over religion and science bothers me in the fact that their arguments are set up so there will be a winner and a loser. Although I do believe that they should each have boundaries from each other in certain situations, I would like to argue that there is still room for both in our daily lives if that’s how one chooses to live. Although I am not religious anymore at all, I grew up catholic and feel that I have enough experience to present a well-balanced argument.
            This photo essay will not debate nor support religion and science. This photo essay will not glorify or undermine religion and science either. This photo essay is essentially to explore the prevalence of the two in our American society (using me as an example) and will also suggest some questions in regard to where and where it does not belong in respect to each other.
            I am composing this for my peers who may have noticed similar occasions of their coexistence. I am also composing this for anyone who is one-sided on the issue and I offer a non-biased look at how religion and science can have a mutual relationship.
            ***This essay will be specific to the Catholic/Christian religions due to the pictures I plan on taking, but the message applies to all religious practices.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment